Sixth Grade Literature/Vocabulary

VOCABULARY TEST ON TUESDAY, MAY 8TH: UNIT 12 VOCABULARY AND SYNONYMS!

Congrats to ALL of my amazing sixth graders!! They did an exceptional job with the Wax Museum presentations! This week we will get back to our regular schedule of classwork. Last week, I introduced our Unit 11 Vocabulary words. We will have a vocabulary only test on Thursday…no parts of speech. This means, the meaning of the words and their synonyms.

WEEK OF MARCH 12th

We finished our novel, Fish in a Tree, On Friday! On Monday and Tuesday, I will give the test questions. Some of them will require referencing the book, so I am giving all students time in class to work on this both days. Test will be Thursday. 🙂

NO Sadlier Vocabulary this week.

WEEK OF MARCH 5TH

DUE TO IOWA TESTING THERE WILL BE NO VOCABULARY

WE WILL FINISH FISH IN A TREE THIS WEEK AND BEGIN OUR END OF NOVEL ACTIVITIES.

NOVEL TEST ON WEDS MARCH 15TH

WEEK OF FEB. 26TH

NO VOCABULARY THIS WEEK! We will continue our novel and do some prep practice for the IOWA.

WEEK OF FEB. 12th

Unit 10 Vocab: Completion of book activities and review with Kahoot.

Part of Speech quiz on February 21st

Definitions/Synonyms test on Feb. 22nd

Fish in a Tree…we are nearing the end of this novel and will begin prepping for review the following week.

WEEK OF FEB 5TH

Unit 10 Vocabulary…Part of Speech quiz on February 21st

Definitions/Synonyms test on Feb. 22nd

WEEK OF JAN 29TH

Parts of Speech Quiz, Tuesday

Unit 9, Defintions, Syn/Ant, Thursday

Continue with Fish in a Tree, open book quiz on Tuesday.

WEEK OF JAN 22ND

Due to schedule changes last week, we fell a bit behind in our novel so there will not be a quiz this week. However, there will be a quiz on Chapters 1-20 next Tuesday, January 30th. This quiz will come directly from the chapter questions I’ve given in class. No vocabulary will be assessed on this assessment.

Vocabulary, Unit 9:

Parts of Speech: Quiz on Jan. 30th

Definitions/Synonyms/Antonyms: Test on Feb. 1st

WEEK OF JANUARY 16TH

We will finish up our vocabulary practice and review each day for Thursday’s Vocab quiz…test was announced last week below!!!!

We are enjoying Fish in a Tree… a few students still don’t have their own copy.

WEEK OF JANUARY 8TH

This week we are starting our novel, Fish in a Tree.  If you have not secured a copy of this book please make every effort to get one ASAP. As previously stated, the paperback version is more affordable and there are plenty in stock on Amazon. I have a few extra copies, but it’s crucial for each student to have their own copy as it will become an interactive tool that we write in as well as read.

Vocabulary Unit 8 begins this week and will be assessed next Thursday, January 18th.

WEEK OF DECEMBER 11TH

We will continue to finish up our novel. PLEASE don’t forget to purchase Fish in a Tree for January. We will begin this book on January 8th.

Literature exam will take place on Tuesday, Dec. 19th. We will be reviewing in class daily, but please study and prepare at home too!

WEEK OF NOVEMBER 27TH

There will be NO NEW CHAPTERS for Vocabulary. We will begin reviewing previous tested words from Units 1-6. The mid-term will take place on December 15th. Students will be given the EXACT words that will appear in their Literature mid-term exam.

Wednesday Wars: We will conquer the March chapter of the book this week! Quiz on “March” will take place next Tuesday, December 4th.

WEEK OF NOV. 13th

Unit 5 Vocabulary test took place today, Monday, Nov. 13th. We will begin Unit 6 today after the test. Unit 6 words will be assessed on TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 21st.

We will continue reading the “February” chapter of Wednesday Wars and will take an open note quiz on the chapter THIS Friday, Nov. 17th.

Every day we start the class with silent and independent reading. I have allowed the sixth graders to select books from my personal supply of chapter books, but sadly many books are missing and the shelf is left in disorganization each day. Please encourage your child to bring a book from home to read at school. I will also take them all to the library tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov. 14th to check out a book.

Week of November 6th

Quick Update! As you all know, the January Quiz for Wednesday Wars will take place on Monday. Questions were given last week AND I sent a summary that included all the answers.

Vocabulary…please make sure you are using time each night to prepare for the Vocabulary test. I am moving it to Monday, Nov. 13th to give you all ample time to prepare since our time was cut short being off two days.

WEEK OF OCTOBER 30TH

Students….please,  do not wait until the last minute to study for the vocabulary tests. Remember, www.vocabtest.com, is what I use to design the test! Our next test will be on Unit 5, Nov. 10th. Please be diligent about studying a little bit each night, especially since you don’t have assigned homework from this class.

We will continue with Wednesday Wars, chapter “January.” We will finish this chapter on Friday. Quiz questions will be given on Friday and the quiz will take place on Tuesday, November 7th.

ALSO, it’s very important that you have a book of your own to read each day. I have too many books missing and will not be able to loan out my personal books any longer. To aid in this, I will take the class to the library next week to check out a book if purchasing one is a burden.

Have a great week! 🙂

WEEK OF OCTOBER 23rd

Quiz on December chapter of WW on Tuesday!

Vocabulary Test, Unit 4 on Friday!

WEEK OF OCTOBER 16th

Due to the Fatima movie last Friday, the vocabulary test was moved to Tuesday. Students will be responsible for writing sentences for the ten words I provided last Tuesday. 🙂

We will continue with our novel, Wednesday Wars.

WEEK OF October 9th

Weds Wars November Quiz on Tuesday!
Unit 3 Vocab on Wednesday!

Open book Vocab Unit Review on Friday!

WEEK OF OCTOBER 2nd

Chapter Quiz for Wednesday Wars Chapter “October” on Tuesday.

Wednesday Wars, Chapter “November” will begin on Monday.

Vocabulary Unit 3 begins...test on October 11th. (Please not this date was changed) UNIT 1-3 test will take place on FRIDAY, OCT. 13th. 

WEEK OF SEPT 25th

This Friday was originally set for an early release. Please note it is now a full day. All 6th graders will be assessed on Unit 2 Vocabulary THIS FRIDAY. Please pace yourselves and study some all week. Don’t wait until the last minute!!! 🙂

The September quiz for Wednesday Wars will take place on Tuesday. I shared with all students what it would include. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to take this quiz on Friday due to the 8th grade leadership talk with Father George.

Have a great week! 🙂

WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 18TH

Welcome back!!

LOTS OF REVIEW THIS WEEK!

We were moving along nicely with our Quarter 1 Novel, Wednesday Wars. This week we will read, comprehend, and discuss new vocabulary. Starting this week, we will take chapter quizzes on the story. At the conclusion of the book, there will be a test. This will most likely take place in October.

Chapter 1, September: Quiz on Friday, Sept. 22

We will review our first chapter in detail since we’ve been out for seven days! Crazy!

Vocabulary…Unit Two (test Sept. 29th)

WEEK OF AUGUST 28th

Important!! Our first vocabulary test will be this Friday, Sept. 1st

Please don’t wait until Thursday night to study. ALL students should bring their book home this week to prepare. Reminder…utilize the website www.vocabtest.com to prepare with fun online games and activities.

We will continue with our first quarter novel, Wednesday Wars.

PLEASE make sure when you organize items for my class that you have everything you need!!!

Week of August 21st

NO SCHOOL ON MONDAY!

Please make sure you have the following EVERY day!

A book to read, Vocabulary workbook, composition book, iPad, and supply pouch.

Vocabulary: Unit One, first ten words. All work done in class. Test will take place Friday, September 1st on all twenty words.

Novel: Wednesday Wars, this will begin on Wednesday due to our all school mass schedule.

Have a great week!

Welcome to Sixth Grade Literature and Vocabulary!

Hi Sixth Graders! Each day you will visit my class for instruction in Literature and Vocabulary. Mrs. Smith, who is across the hall, will teach you Grammar/Writing/Spelling. Together, we complete your Language Arts learning for the year.

Please bring the following to class every day: iPad, planner, composition book, vocabulary workbook, supply pouch, and a book to read.